Lesson From My Jump Off a Cliff

This is a very old (June'08) post that I imported from my other blog (I did make a few changes to it but still the thoughts are old).

Paragliding Experience

Last Friday I announced to the world that this weekend I am gonna jump off a cliff. Comments poured in - they ranged from, 'write me in your will' to 'plz don't coz we don't get holiday for self-inflicted injuries'.

Much has been changed by that one experience.

The peace that was there in the air, the contentment, the solitude, the quite, the magnificence! I simply didn't feel like returning to earth.


But return I did, and within seconds everyone around me started asking questions. Somehow I didn't get the time to take it all in.

Some things just can't be explained, and when you try to explain them immediately after experiencing them, their value is somehow reduced. The magic loses its potency.
Later, I felt that a little 'pause/quite/me time' might have added more to my experience.

Almost similar thing happened next day while reading a book. The sentence was so powerful that I could not continue reading. I had to keep the book down and go for a walk to think it through. It really was that profound a sentence.

Both these experiences got me thinking, do we as IDs go on a information diarrhoea when we create our courses? Do we give our learners enough time to assimilate the content or do we try to tell them everything at once? Do we allow them to pause - to take it all in? If not, how can we add these pauses, these moments of assimilation into our learning's without losing the learners?

Is it this lack of understanding/sensitivity, our failure to give our learner a little 'me time' that beats us in the end?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do IDs do?

I'm lucky :)

Show Don’t Tell