Show Don’t Tell


Show to the GDs and learners – don’t just tell!

Today, I came across some content that was difficult to visualize onstage and remembered the article "Show Don’t Tell" by Shirley Jump.

Why Show? Well, showing involves the learner; it allows them to participate and ensures that you have them where you want them to be – right beside you.

So when you are creating a role play where say a character named Dan is to be shown angry how will you visualize him? Will you tell your GD, show an angry frown and expect that the GD and the leaner will know it’s an angry face or would rather show Dan in his office, at his desk, standing up with the report in his hand, slamming it shut with a frown on his face and throwing it on his desk?

Think about it.

Option one is easy for IDs, but option 2 is will have flavor to it.

If you give rich details in your visual descriptions, those rich characters will give the learner an experience that will be much more memorable.

So show and don’t tell.

(I will recommend the article to all writers (especially novel/story writers). Sorry I don’t have its link but if you want the article send me a mail and I’ll email it to you. However know that I love people who know how to search smart more than those who make me work :P)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do IDs do?

I'm lucky :)